Thursday, May 13, 2010
This is a bald eagle.
It represents America.
They truly are majestic and noble.
Especially wild and free.
We go hiking whenever we have the opportunity. There are more miles of hiking trails in Juneau than there are roads. So far, not one has been a disappointment. Here we found tide pools and and an abandoned pier from the old gold mining industry.
My roommate, Andrew, and I, on a hike.
A forest.
Here I am standing atop a glacier. The ice is approximately 150 years old and the glacier moves about 2 feet per day. The ice fields above receive hundreds of inches of snow a year and it continuously falls and packs until the ice is formed.
This is what it looks like beneath a glacier. The weight of the hundreds of feet of ice on top pushes all the air bubbles out of the ice, and it appears blue. The most brilliant thing I have ever seen.
The largest ice cube I have ever found beneath a glacier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
mmm, that ice cube would be divine in a cool cup of water.
ReplyDeleteGlacier blue is a wonder; it can only be truly appreciated in person - its brilliance is severe. And yet, you seem to have captured it well. Love.
ReplyDeleteLove the glacier pictures, it really is something else. I hope you get to see some calving.
ReplyDeleteThe Pictures of the glaciers are incredible!! I really like the picture of the forest (looking up at the trees).. I'm copying it to my computer, and if I ever post it somewhere I will give you credit :)
ReplyDeleteawesome! you got to go underneath the glacier? we never got to do that while we were there. so cool.
ReplyDelete